Re: third world connections (Re: I have no Halloween )

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, John Davis wrote:

> rhys daily <shadow at teuton_org> writes:
> Wow Rhys, never disagreed with you so much at one time! ;)

well you know...

i'm mean and ornery

esp when you tweak my ideas. (:

> >third world day to day
> >
> >Graceland:
> >Call me All
>
> Song about what it means to get old, be disillusioned

where does bat-faced girl work in there?

or this:
Maybe it's his first time around
He doesn't speak the language
He holds no currency
He is a foreign man
He is surrounded by the sound
The sound
Cattle in the marketplace
Scatterlings and orphanages
He looks around, around
He sees angels in the architecture
Spinning in infinity
He says Amen! and Hallelujah!

sounds like he's lost some  thirdworld place, realising that things are
the same'different there.

cattle in the marketplace its pretty thirdworld day to day to me...

> >African Skies
>
> Song about renewal after lost love

some guy who got lost and found music. and about the beauty of wandering

> >Diamonds on the Soles of her shoes

> Song about falling in love, how love overshadows worldy concerns

who sleeps in doorways and dreams of dancing as a way out?

someone in africa, probly a street child.

sleeping doorways, sniffing glue, eating scraps, every shiny thing must be
a dioamond.

> >I know what i KNow
>
> Song about how silly and strange middle-aged people feel about doing the
> dating thing again after being married so long

if you say so.

> >Homeless
>
> This *might* be about Africa, but only because Joseph Shambala wroteit ,
> right?

no, see it *is* african

i think there's a difference in how we look at things.

what did you picture when you listened to this stuff? it sounds like you
pictured american western things

and i didn't

so that's why we disagree.
see, i think really, honestly

i could go through and argue on each of these. but it comes down to
context.

my context is differen.t i don't esee many things as 'american' and 'not'
and putting all the normal stuff i experienceunder that hat and calling it
american

so i will just say

we'd have to agre to disagree, since i can't change your perspecitve. in
things english,  or from people american, you seem to hear only america in
it.

i don't get that, or understtand it.

> Yes! I'm particulat fond of Orchestra Baobab at present. Also there's
> Geoffrey Oryema, Fela Kuti, The Drummer of Barundi, Yossou N'Dour.

knew i forgot some.
rhys

--
End hunger