Nobody Number One

Yes, this is my "me too" post for the Floored by the New OtR club. I was
listening to Nobody Number One again last night, and wow. I had to stop and
write the lyrics out (I posted them below). I think it was right about the
time Karin sang, "Pain is our mother, she makes us recognize each other" that
I realized this was going to be one of those songs I can never play as
"background" music. The next verse about feeling alone in the city was
exactly what I needed to hear right now. I just graduated from Calvin and
moved to Denver with two friends from school, but I'm finding I really miss
all the other people from Calvin. Even the ones I didn't know, we at least
had a common bond. I love big cities (and Denver rocks), but sometimes I get
tired of the lack of community that exists so often in them. I'm trying to
find a job here and not having very much luck, so I definitely feel like a
nobody.
At first I thought that this song would just be something I could identify
with in my lonliness and anxiety, but then the last verse ends with "I'm so
far down I'm beginning to breath..." and let me tell you, as Karin sighed out
the last syllable of that line, I could have floated up into the air. Only
OtR could bring someone on a tour of their pain like that and then take it
away (for a while) too. God bless you, Karin and Linford.

Wes

Over the Rhine - Nobody Number One

I'm afraid I've lost a piece of me
I need the most you see
This puzzle is really just about the need
To be somebody

I'm afraid I'm not all that you see
All along the coast of me
I'm camouflaged, a desert mirage
A No-body...

But you came so close and I assumed
You were looking for the piece of yourself that's lost
It is the hiding place inside everybody

And though we love to numb the pain
We come to learn that it's in vain
Pain is our mother
She makes us recognize each other

[Chorus]
Come on now child, don't cry
Come on now child, don't cry
Let's give it one more try
Come on now child, don't cry

Sometimes I feel so all alone
Here in this city I call my home
They say hey, you're one of us
Funny, I should feel so anonymous

But I'm drawn to you
And that still small voice is talking too
And that's the voice that so seldom can get through

[Chorus]

You can't put no band-aid on this cancer
Like a twenty dollar bill for a topless dancer
You need questions, forget about the answers
Do you really wanna die this way?

That's the trouble with you and me
We always hit the bottom before we get set free
I'm so far down
I'm beginning to breath...

[Chorus]

- --
"We need to consider the reality of what God wants and how broken the world
is, and the gap between them, and let a healthy discontent take over our
souls so that we say, by God's grace and power, I will not quit because it
matters. It matters." - Roberta Hestenes
Libretech.org - Technology Is Free (http://www.libretech.org)