Re: I have no Halloween suggestions - yet..

--- John Davis <johnd at antioch-college_edu> wrote:
> I'm sorry - can you name a example of a song of Paul Simon's that's about
> "third world day-to-day events"? Very confused here.

Well, I'm not Bruce--although I would be for a day!--but since my strong
distaste for Paul Simon seems to be rearing it's ugly head here, I did a quick
three minute search thru two sites, and found this:

The Boy in the Bubble_Graceland_

It was a slow day
And the sun was beating
On the soldiers by the side of the road
There was a bright light
A shattering of shop windows
The bomb in the baby carriage
Was wired to the radio

The reviewer of the album on CDNOW even calls it a contrast between first and
third world view.  And just for the record, Simon seems to me to stand out as a
lightning rod for third world causes.  I mean it harkens back to pre Live Aid
80s.

So, in recap, I LOVE Over the Rhine, but Pauls Simon: Not so much...

"I, no I, ain't gone play Sun city"
Mark

=====