OHIO pastemusic mp3s

Title: OHIO pastemusic mp3s

Well after looping the three mp3s for the last two hours I am truly floored...

First of all I'm usually not very impressed with the sample selections put up on web sites....generally they don't inspire me to purchase the promoted CD (reference the recent conversation about individual songs versus albums....I'm an album person who things that even discs should have some sort of flow and artistry to the track order.  Gee, I miss vinyl albums and the whole thought process that went into how an album side began and ended e.g. Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon)...I digress.) <sigh>  In this case the three tracks offered showcase three different styles/textures of OtR and I think really capture this effort.

I have three comments to make about the OHIO mp3 previews...

1) Wow! OtR once again demonstrates why they are the best band on the planet and why Karin and Linford are incredible gifts to us.

2) In the order Suitcase, Show Me, Nobody...one can sense the lineage of OtR music from TWHF to CRF.  Whether it is a particular vocal performance, arrangement, or some musical hook...there is something familiar (and comforting) in the newness that is exciting and wonderful.

3) If these three songs are any indication of the remainder of the CD, then this just may be the ticket to bringing OtR to a much larger audience.  I will be sorely disappointed (and mad enough to march into Back Porch/Virgin records and give them a piece of my mind for not promoting OtR into the stratosphere) if this album does not get some Grammy attention.  I'm sorry, but I'd put OtR against the last five best album Grammy winners any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Songwriting, vocal performance, arrangements...whatever; Norah Jones and Alicia Keys can't hold a candle to OtR.  I'm still trying to figure what all the fuss is over John Mayer and Avril Lavigne when artistry like OtR labors in anonymity.

In the end, I am very excited about this release.  If you've not caught the mp3s and placed your pre-order...do so today.

Sláinte!

David
David Dean
PhD Candidate
Department of History
Arizona State University

PS: I was disappointed to be purchasing the pre-release from pastemusic.com instead of directly from the OtR website.  I too want less of my money going to overhead and more going to the artists.