Re: DVD recording (no otr content)

Possible?  Yes.  Difficult?  Rather.

There are two basic problems here:

1) Ripping the movie content from the disc (There are tools to do this
with either Windows or Mac (OS X), but there are *more* tools available
for Windows.)

2) Snipping out the portion of the movie you want.  (I don't know of the
appropriate Mac programs - my Mac doesn't have a DVD drive - but the
Windows ones are not that hard to find.

3) Optional, but highly recommended:  re-compress the film clip to make
it much smaller.

I would suggest looking around http://doom9.net/ particularly in the
"Guides" section.  All the information you will need is there, though
it's focused on ripping entire DVDs for copying.

-Smitty the Ripper
(Brother to Jack)