St. Augustine Show

I went to the St. Augustine show last night. Karin and Linford played at Cafe Eleven, this tiny cafe a block off the beach. I saw Denison Witmer there a few months ago, and found out that the owners have a high appreciation for good music. If you're ever in St. Augustine, definitely check out this cafe. Nice space. I was really impressed that they were able to set up this show, and I totally appreciated OTR for showing up to play for 50 people on their way to Orlando C-Stone. I just moved to Orlando a year ago from Columbus, Ohio, and I was just thrilled to get to see them. It made me rather homesick, especially when Karin announced that this show was a first for her, since she has never sung in flip-flops before. "Ohio girls don't belong in flip-flops," she said wryly. Someone shouted out, "Yes they do!"

It was a really beautiful evening, and they both seemed very relaxed. Linford was on keys and didn't say much. Karin talked more than usual during the show, which was fun. She claimed that the sea wind and the sand were bringing out the ocean imagery in Linford's setlist, which certainly seemed the case.

OK, here's the setlist:

1. Cast Me Away
2. Bothered
3. Etcetera, Whatever
4. The Seahorse
5. ? I didn't recognize this one; haven't heard much new stuff lately though. The chorus seemed to involve the phrase, "Little Darling."
6. My Love is a Fever
7. Fever
8. Latter Days
9. ? A new one. Karin said that they wrote this in the studio over the last couple of weeks, and it was a product of her "thinking a little too hard about things going on the world." It was absolutely stunning. Some of the lines I think I caught were, "I am my Father's hand/ I look for redemption in everyone." The chorus had this line, "Bring the whole thing down."
10. Hello, Ohio (Karin sat down at the keyboard and asked whether we would like a song about Ohio, or about the war. Someone shouted out "War in Ohio!" Probably the callow youths behind me who wouldn't quit chattering during the show. Ideas like bad karma and purgatory were invented with people like that in mind, I'm sure.)
11. Orphan Girl  (I've heard Karin do this several times, and this time was the most moving, I think.)
12. All I Need

The newer songs made me very eager to hear the new album. Karin said that it should appear sometime in August. Can hardly wait.
Oh, there's a few pictures here: www.excelsis.cc/weblog/faith.hopler
They didn't turn out well at all, but you get the general idea.

Faith >>

Do you Yahoo!?