"swearing" in Christian arts

This brings on an interesting discussion about
"swearing" in the "christian arts."It all depends on
the use of the "swearing." Since this is the OTR list,
we will look them as an example.

OTR uses the word shit qutie a lot, but it's how they
use it. For instance, in "Daddy Untwisted," firstly,
the speaker is not necissarily the author (this is
something that comes up quite a bit in poetry as
well). So, to say "the shit you're really in" is more
a charachter thing than a "swearing" thing.

With this same example, I think this usage of the word
is perfectly acceptable, even if it rally is the band
saying shit,a nd not someone that the band is
emulating. For, the word shit carries a heavy meaning.
To use crap, or dirt or junk, and etc, would loose
meaning.

In my own fiction, and even non fiction writing, I try
to stay away from 'swearing,' but sometimes it cannot
be helped. My charchters are not all christians, and
if they were real human individuals (as opposed to a
creation of my head), they would swear. So, to totally
avoid any form of "swearing," would put theese
charachters out of place.

I guess, in short, my view on 'swearing goses
something like this.
If you can avoid it, it is probably best to do so, but
if it would comprimise your artictic endevour, than
for all means, use "swearing."

Just for the record, last fall I did a paper tracing
the "street" uses of "the F word," to thier original
and literal meanings. It was quite fascinating, and I
got an A on the paper.

=====
 And I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
-Linford Detweiler