An interesting point.

I think some of us have been wondering about this.

From
http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.psp?type=4&cat=0809&id=030203201807108114

As has become customary for such events, images of the disaster -- in
this case a distant white streak hurtling across a blue sky before
breaking into several streaks -- were played over and over again as
networks preempted their usual lineup of Saturday morning cartoons.

"These images become part of our national history, part of out national
memory," said (Dan) Rather, who joined "Saturday Early Show" host Russ
Mitchell by 10:30 a.m. to become the first of the Big Three anchors on
the air.

Other observers said the mammoth horror of the suicide hijacking attacks
on the World Trade Center and Pentagon nearly 18 months ago may have
diminished the visual impact of the Columbia disaster.

"Everybody has already got their defining generational media moment
burned into their head, and that was the four or five days of and
following Sept. 11 of 2001," (Robert) Thompson  (director of Syracuse
University's Center for the Study of Popular Television) said. Thompson
said the 1986 loss of the space shuttle Challenger was, perhaps, more
horrifying to the public than the Columbia disaster because it was
completely unprecedented and the tragic launch was broadcast live on
television before millions of viewers.