Re: An interesting point.

Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:

>>From
> http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.psp?type=4&cat=0809&id=030203201807108114
>

> "Everybody has already got their defining generational media moment
> burned into their head, and that was the four or five days of and
> following Sept. 11 of 2001," (Robert) Thompson  (director of Syracuse
> University's Center for the Study of Popular Television) said.

Nah. What rock has Thompson been living under? Every post-baby boom
generation got thier defining moments of tragedy and violence on t.v. or
movies - in *fictional* stuff. How many 70's babies remember seeing "The
Day After"?
(http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/D/htmlD/dayafterth/dayafter.htm)

The images of carnage and rubble far outstrip the stuff we saw on
September 11 (and repeated, as nauseum, for days afterward.) I had
nightmares for months about being in a post-nuclear holocaust and
getting radiation sickness.

Or, shoot, did anyone see "The Seige"? It predicted Sept. 11 - except
the target is FBI headquarters in NYC, not the WTC. It came complete
with Muslims and Arabs being detained and Denzel Washington's amzing
line where he asks Bruce Willis is maybe the whole point of the
terrorism wasn't to kill anyone in particular but to get us to "shred
the Constitution just a little bit."
Too bad Bush/Congress didn't watch the movie...

We were ruined from feeling the effects of real tragedy by watching
fake, hyped tragedies made by Hollywood.

- John

np: "What You Are" - Audioslave

--
John Paul Davis
Center for Community Learning

Ned Flanders: Let's just agree to disagree
Principal Skinner: I don't agree to that
Mrs. Krabapple: Me neither