Re: Wow

Mark van Hornsveld wrote:

> Don wrote about:
>
>> those risks [of being in aspace shuttle].  And besides, driving your
>> car to the store is more risky, in a
>> statistical sense, than flying in the shuttle, and yet many people
>> don't think
>> twice about popping back to the supermarket to get that pint of milk
>> they
>> forgot.
>
> That depends how and what you count, Don. Me thinks 2 accidents in 113
> voyages is a worse percentage than most people driving to the stores....

Definitely.  I myself, and most people I know today, have never been
killed in a car accident. =)

I know I've gone to the grocery store many more than 113 rimes in my
life - I've gone that many times in the past two years.  I have not
personally known anyone involved in a fatal car accident in the past
year.  (The closest I get is an online friend who died just a little
over a year ago.)  If you count all automotive incidents versus the two
shuttle disasters, you may have some sort of point - but it's not a real
comparison.  The shuttle is far more risky than pretty much any other
mode of transportation, save riding an irate rhinoceros through
Manhattan.  The difference is, the risk of the shuttle is necessary -
there's not really another method to get where you're going when where
you're going is outer space.

-Smitty the Cat Herder