Re: good dog bad dog review redux

Hello Angela. Welcome to the list! Thanks for responding  to this
maelstrom...

Angela Pancella wrote:

> First of all, I'm not evangelical, and I don't lump
> Thunderstruck in with a list of sites that try to put a
> conservative Christian gloss on pop culture things.

yeah... I was really trying to say that the Thunderstuck site remimded
me of those other sites, and of a larger trend with evangelicals more
than that you specifically are evangelical or that it was your goal to
do that kind of glossing.

> started writing for it because I saw quotes by Anne
> Lammott, G.K. Chesterton, Thomas Merton and Bono on the
> home page.  I like all those people, so I felt comfortable
> having my writing associated with someone who liked them
> too.

Hey- I like all those people too! I have actually had that some
experience - of going to a site that featured a bunch of Christians I
admired, only to find that the site was very evangelical, so much so
that I was turned off, but I never really thought about how that's what
I was doing. That's actually how I stumbled on to Relevant and the Ooze
and Re:Generation Quarterly, etc.

>I was writing a review of an album I dearly love and
> trying to explain what I love about it, and that is all.
> The story about "Latter Days": nowhere do I say that I
> think that song is about the Apocalypse.

Yeah, Don pointed out that I'd read too much into that, and I agreed.

>I put it on the
> air that day because I thought, just based on the title, it
> *might* have to do with the Apocalypse.  That was the sort
> of radio programming I was engaged in those days.

See, now here's where I wish you'd have put that story in the review --
it's interesting and provides a different resonance to the song - a sort
of How Do Songs Fit Together in A Theme kind of resonance.

> "BAPM"--rhys has it right, it was a silly sidenote.  I did
> not mean to imply "This song uses Biblical imagery,
> therefore it is okay for you to listen to it."  In fact I
> was implying nothing at all.

So, may I ask what you did mean by including it?

>  I see no
> reason why reviews should always be of brand new albums;
> how can you tell with a few spins which albums will stand
> the test of time?

I agree wholeheartedly.

- John

--