Re: folk music?

At the library where I work, we have a very
interesting filing system for our music. It's a dewey
decimal system that someone at the ann arbor library
devised. it's excellent for classical--which ends up
getting sorted by instrumentation type, solos,
orchestrals, etc. but a lot of other things get heaped
under one category.

for instance, "pop/rock" contains the likes of dar
williams, nelly, NIN, and ani difranco.

our "folk" category gets more interesting. it contains
much of the world music--even "rock" world music, like
Afro Celt Sound System or Shakira (her spanish
albums). however, the American section of "folk"
contains woody guthrie as well as old american songs
(like Oh Susanna).

I've since relabeled the folk music divider to read:
Folk (world) music.

Classifying can get so confusing.
I'm glad I'm not a scientist.

lindsey