Re: folk music?

Lindsey! Hi! ::Old School Listee Handshake::

Our Library has a similar system, and I actually don't mind this:

> for instance, "pop/rock" contains the likes of dar
> williams, nelly, NIN, and ani difranco.

Becuase it all really is pop music.

But I did find the way they organize the folk/world music to be strange.
  I'm guessing that the system was developed back when people thought
folks from other countries only made folk music of some kind or another.
It gets confusing though.

At our Library, for example, one might find a record by Abdullah Ibrahim
  under jazz (where it rightly belongs) but they are just as likely to
find it under "Folk/World". Taj Mahal is either "Pop" or "Folk/World"
but *not* "Blues".

They have the "Christian" music in a section all by itself, seperate
even from the Gospel music (which is fine w/me because I can get my
Staples Singers or Bill Monroe w/o having to sully my hands with a DC
Talk or Jars of Clay CD), which means they sort *that* by record label
instead of by genere.

- John

np: "Another Time, Another Place" - U2

--