Narnia books/secular

>Go broke, I hope so.  Stink, I don't know.  I *do* know that the original
>Narnia books were very much a reflection of C.S. Lewis's own highly
>personal (and somewhat idiosyncratic?) tastes and beliefs, and I really,
>really doubt anyone else can capture their flavour.
>
>--- Peter T. Chattaway

To be honest, as a child, I never knew they were "religious" books. I loved
the stories, much like I loved Madeleine L'Engle's stories, and L.M.
Montgomery's, and Frances Hodgson Burnett's. They were simply wonderful
books that transported me to a world that I felt I understood - they were my
"quiet bottle of ginger beer".

Many people I know have no idea of the allegorical content in the Narnia
books. In fact, the only friends of mine who have any clue of this are
Christian. Not to talk down to Christians or anything, I'm just saying that
many non-Christians don't immediately pick up on the allegory, or don't even
realize it's there.

To re-market these books as something "new and secular" would be ridiculous
- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

jillian.