Re: Sound Recording Question (no OtR)

J B wrote:

>  if your puter is as old as my 3 1/2 yr old Gateway with the slowest
> original burner 2x it's about time for a new one.I've been
> shopping for a new puter one that can edit video,DVD burner etc....
> and just havn't found exactly what I want.You can get great deals
> right now if all you want is a computer with a CD burner.

Aldi sells EVERYTHING, I swear, and it's starting to scare me.  There's
a computer for ~$700 in their most recent circular, and the brand of the
PC itself scares me, but the components all look darn good.  Name-brand
parts make me almost want one of the computers..if only I wasn't the
type of person who buys exactly the part I want and puts a computer
together myself.

Oh, for those sitting on the fence, do yourself a favor and buy a Mac.
 I live in the Windows world like the traitorous bastard that I am, but
there's not a day that I don't look /over/ the fence at that oh-so-green
grass.

> As far as stand alone burners,I'd stick with a name brand.Everyone at
> CD freaks.com seems to say that Plextor makes the best drives and NERO
> is the best burning software.Hope this helps,anyone else have an
> opinion???
> John (JB)...The Wildcard !!!!!

Frankly, CD-R drives have gotten to the point where they're almost a
commodity.  You can buy pretty much anything and be happy with it; there
really aren't any brands (that I can think of) that are definitely on my
to-avoid list.

Nero is DAMN good software, and capable of pretty much anything.  The
problem is, it has a bit more of a learning curve than the competition
from Roxio.  I love Nero, and it does everything I want it to do - but
my needs are a good deal more than your average user who wants to copy
audio.  (For example, I make bootable Windows installation CDs with
updates built-in, and discs for my Dreamcast to use - far beyond, and
more esoteric than, most users' demands.)

-Smitty the SNES dreamer, and Mac-abandoning infidel.  ( I SHALL RETURN!)