That1Guy from San Francisco

holy crap with a side of holy crap sauce...

I saw Drums and Tuba (a fantastic Zappa-y, King
Crimson-y, marching band-y instrumental jazzy
band from upstate New York on Ani Difranco's
Righteous Babe label) last night at Cincinnati's
Mad Frog.  Bruce (Lachey) and Rick (Cassinelli)
were supposed to be there, too... but alas, my
fiancee and I just found a nice spot and decided
to verbally flog both of them for missing this
show...

Drums and Tuba (and guitars) were awesome.  I'd
seen them three times prior (all opening for Ani)
and all in larger venues (Taft x 2 and Wexner x 1).
Mad Frog was too loud (guitar and drum-wise), but it
was still a good show.

The main thrust of the "holy crap," though was the
opener... "That1Guy and the Magical Pipe."

holy crap.
holy crap.
holy crap.

That1Guy was AWESOME!  That1Guy is truly a visionary.
That1Guy paid attention during those Sesame Street,
3-2-1 Contact, and Electric Company episodes talking
about *anything* can be an instrument.

http://www.that1guy.com/

He had three instruments:
  - a big lead pipe  (or "lead" lead pipe, perhaps)
         (pronounced: LEED LED pipe)
  - a hand saw (like what you'd buy at Home Depot)
  - a mini-snare drum, trigger, connected to the
      big lead pipe

holy crap.
holy crap.
holy crap.

The big lead pipe was actually a bunch of sizes of
pipes connected with elbows/etc, strung with cello
strings (presumably) on the two major vertical pipes,
heavily microphoned, adapted with dozens of drum-
machine-esque triggers and sound effects.

This was the epitome of a one man band.  It was A
MAZE ZING.  He played it like a cello (bow and all),
like a drum, like a drum machine, like a pipe
(banging it), like a smoke machine... his "singing"
style was sort of like a white-rappy Beck...

Go see That1Guy if you ever get the chance.

http://www.that1guy.com/
http://www.that1guy.com/
http://www.that1guy.com/
http://www.that1guy.com/
http://www.that1guy.com/
http://www.that1guy.com/

Get "Songs In the Key of Beotch" if you see him.

that is all.

Dan

np: chantal kreviazuk - what if it all means something

That1Guy definitely gets added to my list of being
blown away by an opener w/o ever hearing them first-
along with the likes of Michael Kelsey (opened for
Over the Rhine), Drums & Tuba (opened for Ani D.),
Jude (opened for Ben Folds Five), 4-Track All-Stars
(opened for Project Logic), Sarah Laughing (opened
up for P.O.D. back in '96), Shrug (opened up for
Burlap to Cashmere), Chantal Kreviazuk (opened up
for Ekoostic Hookah), Euphone (opened for Sunny Day
Real Estate), Heavy Weather (opened for Shrug), and
Paloalto (opened for Nina Gordon).

That1Guy and Michael Kelsey *really* stick out...

=====
VISIT the home of Dan's music at:
     http://www.unemployedingreenland.com/
         -and- http://www.dlm.net/gc/
   VISIT - Pixie Princess Jewelry Studios at:
         http://www.pixieprincess.com/