Re: o, ups

> > (Anyone else read the Phantom Tollbooth?  But I digress...)
> is that related to the magic tollbooth?

No, it's a wonderful "children's book" about a kid who thinks that there's
nothing to do, and then he gets a mysterious package with a miniature car (like
a few feet long - he could still ride in it) and a tollbooth.  He went through
the booth and ended up in a world where words, numbers, and phrases took on
lives of their own.  It's full of delightful wordplay and curious characters,
and at one point they get into a vehicle that only moves when they don't talk:
it goes without saying.

Dang, now I want to reread it again.   :-)  There was a partly-animated movie
made of it once;  I remember that I did go see it, but it must not have been
terribly good, because I don't remember a *thing* about it.

> don't use UPS, use FEDEX. they don't screw around with you.  it's worth the
> extra money.

I didn't pick ups!  The camera company said they'd ship it 3-day, and I said
fine.  That was August 30th.  I didn't understand that they intended to ship it
UPS, or I would have asked them not to, because I had this same problem when I
ordered the gels I needed for the show.  Took about a week longer to get to me
than it should have.  Do they only deliver to unemployed people or something?
People that can afford the time to wait at home all day on the off chance that
they might show up?  Oh, they'll hold the package for you, but then you have to
drive half an hour to go get it, and they're only open during workdays before
five, so you have to take off work to do it... sigh.  Well, getting stressed
and angry changes absolutely nothing, so I'm just not going to bother any more.

Yours,
--
Don Smith                           Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                                 http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"All is strange and void.  Are we dead, or is this Ohio?" - Yakko Warner