Re: Sixpence, Micheal Gondry & More

In a message dated 8/14/02 1:57:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Owner-Over-The-Rhine at actwin_com writes:

From: "Matt Poyner" <MPOYNER at ers_usda.gov>
Subject: Re: Ten Favorite Songs

Brittney,

Do you happen to like Sixpence None the Richer (assuming you've heard
their stuff, other than "kiss me" and "there she goes"?

The reason that I ask, is that your list of top ten songs probably
looks almost exactly like the list of songs that have been favorites of
Matt and Leigh from Sixpence. I've asked them personally and also seen
it in interviews. They always list Emmylou Harris (voice), Tom Waits
(songwriting), Rufus Wainwright, Radiohead and of course the La's
(that's why they covered "There She Goes") on the short list of those
that have influenced them.

And, of course, every once in a while they and OtR sound similar.

Matt,

Yes I do like them. In fact, that's how  I heard about Over the Rhine. I had read interviews where Matt & Leigh said they were one of their favorite bands. I don't know if anyone else has gotten into OTR via Sixpence, but I bet a few people have.

I also got into Radiohead because Leigh talked about them, hence my baptism with The Bends. One of my friends gave me tape with some cool bands on it (Flaming Lips, Kinks) and he stuck Rufus' "Foolish Love". That was all it took.

I've noticed some of you praising Bjork's Volumen, and I have to say that it is an incredible collection of videos. And anything Michael Gondry does is especially good. I mean, how can you not love the gorilla dentist in "Army of Me"?  Does anyone know if he (Gondry, not the gorilla) directed Radiohead's "Knives Out"? I hear that he is doing a feature length film based on a script by Charlie Kauffman. Jim Carey is set to star. Hhhmmm.

Brittney

P.S. I wasn't aware Steve Taylor did music videos. Are they good?