Re: poptarts with a twist of lennon

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, ryan richards wrote:
> First off, I think John Lennon got at least one thing right and that is
> we must first imagine what the future could be like before we can ever
> even hope to change the conditions of this world.

Sure.  And the sort of future he imagines is not the future that I want to
work towards.  So, if his dreams and my dreams conflict, what do we do?

> That he in the end turned out to have accumulated a personal fortune of
> 75 million dollars causes me to question anyone who would still take his
> ideas seriously.

"I don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..." -- U2  :)

> Never the less, he was right that imagination is first and foremost in
> making change happen.  (It's also the key component of religious
> experience according to G.K. Chesterton).

[ nod ]

> Anyhow, it saddens me when people say things like "it'll never happen"
> because that is complete futilism and goes against my basic belief that
> the church is supposed to usher in the Kingdom of God onto this planet.

Agreed.  But my beef with Lennon is not that "it'll never happen" -- it's
that I don't *want* certain parts of his so-called ideal to happen.  I am
not being passively fatalistic, I am actively rejecting a component of
Lennon's so-called ideal.

Since you mention it, though, I do find it interesting that the phrase
"kingdom of heaven" appears in one of Lennon's songs; specifically, in one
of the demo versions of 'Real Love', which is available on the _Imagine_
soundtrack.  The line "the kingdom of heaven is in your hand" was left out
of the version of that song which appeared on the Beatles' _Anthology_.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell