Re: poptarts with a twist of lennon

>From: "Peter T. Chattaway" <petert at interchange_ubc.ca>
>Subject: Re: poptarts with a twist of lennon
>Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:33:39 -0700 (PDT)

Ryan:

First off, I think John Lennon got at least one thing right and that is we
must first imagine what the future could be like before  we can ever even
hope to change the conditions of this world.  By the way, I think the great
tragedy of our time is the loss hope due to lack of vision after the failure
of the the West's humanistic utopian dreams.  An even greater tragedy may be
a certain sect of the Christian church's escapist mentality via hopes of
dissappearing off the face of the planet.  From what sense I can make out of
Lennon he was orginally a Communist in a basic sense.  That he in the end
turned out to have accumulated a personal fortune of 75 million dollars
causes me to question anyone who would still take his ideas seriously.
Never the less, he was right that imagination is first and foremost in
making change happen.  (It's also the key component of religious experience
according to G.K. Chesterton).  Anyhow, it saddens me when people say things
like "it'll never happen" because that is complete futilism and goes against
my basic belief that the church is supposed to usher in the Kingdom of God
onto this planet.  That's what the ministry of Jesus was all about and those
of who claim Christianity as their religion of choice are supposed to be
carrying out the work.  I personally can envision a world where people and
nations cooperate with one another for the sake of each others well being.
After all, at this point it's the only way we are going to possibly survive.
  The really cool thing from my perspective is that some of us do have a
kind of ready made vision of utopia as prophesied in the Bible.  You know,
the lion lying side by side the with the lamb and all that (which I think is
a definate metaphor and not literal which is maybe why some people can't
imagine it happening in the world that we know).  In fact, if you believe in
the Bible you pretty much have to believe in a future utopia.  And if you
believe in Jesus then you have to believe that the Kingdom of God is within
you.  So what I can't figure out is why are people keeping it inside when
they could be letting it out and effecting change in there own communities
and world HERE and NOW?

a bug with yet some hope

Recommend listening:  Eva Cassidy- Songbird