Re: new top ten

At 03:45 PM 8/13/02 -0500, nuts in hell wrote:
new question, new question . . . how would your top ten songs change if the stipulation was made to include music videos?  i know that to many on this list, MTV equals the anti-christ (or whatever bad thing you believe in), but every now and then, the artist/director/producer creates something bigger and better than the song itself . . .
for me, such a list would have to include "November Rain", "Jeremy", "Human Behavior" by Bjork, "one" by U2, and Kenna's "Hellbent"
any takers?
ken

Hmmm...there are a few videos that really had an effect on me in some way...let's see...

The best video of all time, for me, is REM's "Everybody Hurts."  Just the whole idea of it, people's inner thoughts, people contemplating life, and then the whole scene at the end where they just get out of their cars, i know it would never happen but the idea that you could just get people together in some way like that is pretty cool.

As for the other 9, hmmm...let's see.

2. Guns N' Roses - November Rain.  OK, how does Axl's wife die?  We never really find out, do we?  But this thing is just such an epic, elaborate production that it has to be on the list, plus my Gn'R obsession would require at least one of their videos to be on this list (anyone remember how cool the "Estranged" video was too?)

3. Oasis - "All Around The World."  Yeah, a huge Beatles ripoff, but it was all in good fun.  It was really well produced, and the song was one of their best...

4. Bjork - "All Is Full Of Love," I just love this video.  I love all of her videos, but this one was especially cool.

5. U2 - "Where The Streets Have No Name" from the Zoo TV Sydney video...an amazing performance.

6. U2 - "Numb."  If you're lucky and you've seen this video, you know how cool it is...

7. nine inch nails - "Closer"  I like a lot of Trent's songs better than this one, but this video was really the high point of his visual expression, i put it just a notch above the "Perfect Drug" video.

8. The whole Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert from '92.  The most amazing live concert I've ever seen on screen in my life.  I know it's not really a "video," but I have to mention it somewhere.

9. Bon Jovi - "Lay Your Hands On Me".  What every aspiring arena rocker (like myself) dreams of...

10. Meat Loaf - "I Would Do Anything For Love."  Similar to the November Rain theory...just a great video that probably won't ever be equalled, just because no one will be able to afford to equal it (nor will any radio or TV station play another video for an 11 minute song, sadly)

-Steve C.