Top Videos

nuts in hell wrote:

>new question, new question . . . how would your top ten songs change if the stipulation was made to include music videos?
>
>and Kenna's "Hellbent"

I love you.  For you know of Kenna, while few others do.  "New Sacred
Cow" is an incredible album, IMHO, and I hope to see it released before
I die of old age.

I don't think I can make a top ten.  I can make a top eight, though.
 Keep in mind, there are many videos I have not seen, so I can't fairly
judge them all.

1) Nine Inch Nails - Closer
The video just meshes perfectly with the music, and the song is
spectacular.  (Happiness in Slavery would make the list if only the
video didn't overshadow the song by such a wide margin.  Really, it's a
video worth seein if you don't mind having images seared into your mind
on occasion.)

2) A-Ha - Take On Me
Really cool gimmick, and one of the trademark videos of the 80s.  I
still love it as if it were my own.  Er...

3) Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
What is it about black-and-white that makes something more classy?
 Anyhow, the music is awesome.  The video is awesome.  Some of the
coolest photography I've ever seen compressed into four minutes.

4) Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up
Watch it.  In fact, watch the un-cut version available in Europe.  It's
a night of drunken revelry...and it fits the song perfectly.  Once again.

5) Bjork - Bachelorette
I love the story in the video; recursion is a weakness I inherited from
my computer science background, I guess.

6) Devo - Whip It
Another signature 80s video.  You can't not like it.  (I suppose you
could, but you'd be wrong if you did.)

7) Tom Petty - Don't Come Around Here No More
Alice in Wonderland with the appropriate amount of freakiness.
(These last two are videos I've adored since my family first had
MTV...so they're not on here necessarily because of their overall
perfection.  They're just what it took to entertain a four-year-old.
 This one ranks a bit higher becaus I think, in retrospect, it has a bit
more artistic merit.)

8) Herbie Hancock - Rockit
Dancing robotic legs!  And feet!  And things!

So...which videos did I miss?