Re: poptarts with a twist of lennon

>From: "Peter T. Chattaway" >
>I haven't surveyed all the wars in the history of our planet, but I think
>I would place economics over religion, personally.

Yeah.  Greed is the creed.

>My hunch is religion didn't become a primary cause for warfare
>until the rise of evangelistic religions like Christianity, which were not
>necessarily tied to any specific nation.

Please insert [perceived as] between "become" and "a" in the above, Peter,
shall we?   ;-)

Before the advent of such
>religions, my hunch is that nations were more interested in *dominating*
>other nations than they were in *converting* them to their own faiths.

Sure, but they still were afterwards.  Nothing changed, except that they now
had a religion that provided an excuse for their actions.

>But I could very easily be wrong about that.

Only insofar as perception vs reality is concerned.  As an astute observer
of human nature, it has come to my attention the everyone, from the
President down to the garden variety pscyhopath, likes to believe in their
inheriant goodness.  Nobody likes to be wrong.  Everybody wants to put a
spin on their actions and words, to paint themselves in a better light.
People are capable of covincing themselves that they are right even to the
point of distorting facts to back up their position.  We do it all the time.
  We justify our selfishness, stupidity, callousness, etc, as our "right".

NOT TO START AN ABORTION DEBATE, but regardeless of how you feel on the
issue of choice vs. life the fact that a bomber can kill the staff of a
clinic in the name of "pro-life"  is ultimately no different from the way
pro-choicers can deny the humanity of a fetus, at any stage on embryonic
development, and reduce it to a "mass of protoplasm" with merely the
"potential" to beome human life.  In either case, the same thing is going
on- regardless of whether or not religous belief is informing them,   people
can convince themselves of anything to reconcile their views/actions.
Therefore, a rapist's victim "deserved it".  The child abuser is
administering discipline. The junkie is taking medicine.  The conservative
christian girl who is sleeping with her boyfriend can repent EVERY NIGHT and
be forgiven because she is "saved".  Etc.  To say religion is the reason for
war is like saying the above reasons are valid and true.

Think about that movie "Seven".  Were religion or the Bible the reason for
the killing?  How about insanity?  Sin?

So a conqueror or an imperialist nation staging an incursion is no different
than any of these human examples.  Did the Romans likely tell themselves,
"I'm here to rape and pillage and take what isn't mine", or rather, "I'm
hear to fullfill my sworn duty to Ceaser and God."  What would you tell
yourself?  The latter?  That's what enables people to sleep while their beds
are burning, and to dance while the Earth is turning.  It may be a cliche,
but "denial isn't just a river in Egypt" is a true cliche.

Hearing Neil Young sing "Imagine" at the Sept. 11 benefit show was
sickening.  He seemed to be saying, "see, John Lennon knew this was gona
happen, and will contiue to as long as religion itself is allowed to
continue."  At least the politically correct press were right this time, in
their efforts to be PC, by stressing that the impetus for the attack was not
a distorted take on Isamic religion, but hatred and greed instead.  A
preverted take on a religion facilitated the attack, no doubt, but that's
all it did.  All it ever has, really.

the spoil is oil,

Matt