From: Peter T. Chattaway
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 10:43 AM
Cc: OTR List
Subject: signs (***spoilers***) (was: Wow!)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, rhys daily wrote:
> this is funny: at first i couldn't look, the dread was too much. i
> didn't want to see. but then eventually, i looked and realised how silly
> my dread had been. kinda like when you're a kid and you have nightmares
> of people under your bed who're gonna shape shift and come and steal
> your breath, and then you grow up and realise that it's just dark.

This is one of the reasons I *didn't* care for _Signs_ all that much,
actually -- I did not get the same feeling of dread that I got from _The
Sixth Sense_ or, for that matter, from movies like _The Others_.

This whole read-books-and-sit-around-the-TV thing reminded me too much of
low-budget Christian apocalyptic movies like _Left Behind_.  And the
hazardous-glass-of-water-which-proves-God's-existence trick was already
done, in another form, in the Lalonde brothers film _Revelation_.

It didn't help that the aliens looked pretty dumb -- the first time we get
a good look at one, it is so *obviously* a guy in a costume.  You also
can't help wondering why the aliens aren't wearing biohazard suits, or
something ... especially given what happens at the end.