Re: Genesis, KC, KX, KS, GC, AO, PF and new prog...

Quoting Dan Temmesfeld <dtemm at yahoo_com>:
> old-school Genesis is fun.  Gabriel went on to do
> some interesting stuff on his own.  "new"-school
> Genesis went on to become a pretty good pop-band.
> did anyone get Genesis' last album?  the one after
> Phil Collins left?  yeah, exactly.  i don't own
> *any* Genesis, but i like 'em fairly alright.

Yeah, it was with a guy named Ray Wilson.  The album wasn't very good, but
Wilson's voice was amazing, I like his voice a lot more than Collins, but
Rutherford and Banks did most of the writing, so they're the one to blame for
the album's weak material.  I have some bootlegs from the tour though, and
Wilson does an admirable job on the old stuff, especially the Gabriel-era
tracks they dug out.  I guess he's going to make solo albums now, I'm looking
forward to them, incredible voice.

> i like just about all-schools of King's X.  my fav
> would definitely be _Dogman_, though it was sort of
> their first non-proggy album.  they never really
> struck me as a prog band anyway, but rather more of
> a band of really good musicians.  all the way from
> _Out of the Silent Planet_ (1998) to _Manic Moonlight_
> (2002) and beyond are enjoyable to my ears.

That's kind of funny, the first King's X album I heard was "Dogman," I listened
to it all the way through and couldn't even begin to comprehend what all the
fuss was about, I thought it was a really boring album.  I got "Faith Hope
Love" later though, and that was really great.

I've never heard Atomic Opera or Galactic Cowboys, at least not yet.  Just got
an Ozric Tentacles bootleg though, I need to give that a listen.  I'll let you
know what I think when I get a chance to seriously listen to it...

Prog lives!  :)

-Steve C.