use of culture (Re: ADVERTISING)

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Sherry Johnson wrote:

> I have decided to throw my kids for a loop...  In a passive, yet
> in-your-face manner.  I'm going to decorate my classroom with
> advertisements, along with some quotes-for-thought surrounding said

really interseting idea!

> extreme sports product tie-ins

huh? i'm afriad i missewd how that's a bad thing....

> using (and/or abusing) African-American culture to look "cool"

how come it's only black culture that you're interested in? what about
chinese/japanese or indian (feather or dot) or the latin culture - all of
which are used to look/make something cool.

> blurring cultures

why is that bad? (i'm just guessing that you're feeling it's negative from
the tone of the letter in geraltiy, and i could be wrong.

i'm the product of at least three blends of culture. mexican/indian,
german, military. thereare TONS of people like this, and they try to
navigate the world just like anyone else. i'd say good for culture
blending, since it makes it easier to find places to fit...

> ads that define female/male identity

nike.

rhys