iseegenius

Hmm.

I loved Signs.

The aliens plot was a vehicle for the crisis-of-faith story, which was
less of a twisty turny oo-ahh plot than it was an amazingly emotionally
resonant poem.  Use of silence in the film is intense and beautiful.
Cinematography as always with M. Night S[can't spell it] is gorgeous.
And this guy is a super director of actors.  The performances he gets out
of kids are terrific, especially if you're familiar with the dreck
usually produced by child actors.  Character development is very full,
though some people will insist that character development was minimal,
b/c each character has a quirk.  But the development of these charaters
through non-verbals is absolutely cool.

And so on.  Don't want to get to spoilers territory.  Ebert's review was
good: www.suntimes.com/ebert.

The aliens are silly.  It doesn't matter. The ending is consistent with
the plot and does not, no matter what anyone says, too neatly tie up all
the ends.

I've always loved movies that use an alternate reality to work on big
themes that have nothing to do with that alternate reality.  Which is not
to say that I love all such movies or that I find them all equally
satisfying.

NPR just said that it's M Night's 32nd birthday today.

Gotta go that is all &c &c &c,

Fred