C-stone (25,000+)

WARNING! This is a painfully long, boring rant, very specifically about
event planning. If you're not really into that, save yourself;-)

Julie Hentz wrote-

"(C-stone '91 -'92)with one fourth the number of people. It was so
fantastic... room to roam... tents more than twelve inches apart... When
I returned in 2000, I was unpleasantly surprised by how completely
packed to the gills it was. So sad.
(That, and I was seven months pregnant. So I was kind of uncomfortable
in general.)
If they ever decide to limit the number of tickets sold, perhaps I will
return"

In 1995, just as the internet was beginning to get the word out on
C-stone, the much larger Creation Festival, normally held a week
before(or after? C-stone used to ALWAYS be the first weekend to contain
any July, now, it "follows" Independence Day allowing people to build
mini vacations around the holiday, and Willmar, Minnesota's SonShine
Festival was after both of the others, making the "fest circuit" at
least Creation /C-stone /SonShine, in three weeks a given light-touring
act might have more audience than the rest of the year ) was cancelled
(maybe its access roads washed out?) and lots of disappointed
norteastern fest goers simply drove on to Cornerstone, and the word of
mouth (sped by the internet) caused the late nineties boom in attendance
by northeasterners, who, allegedly didn't have their 1995 tickets
honoured in 1996, and found the eclectic music lineup, along with the
artsy "it's all good" attitude, preferable to the "Carman/4 Him/Point Of
Grace and nothing else is going now' approach that Creation used to
have.

I think the last few years of over 20,000 in attendance represent a trap
of scale, about the highest amount of attendees you can have without
enough revenue to make any major improvements to the grounds. In 2001,
the only real difference from 1991 seemed to be the additional gates
(and, thankfully, those shower stall dividers in the additinal showers,
"brotherly love" seems better with a divider between the aforementioned
brethren).

"Cornerstoneville" the town in the middle, hasn't changed much, but,it
is the suburbs that have expanded out, making for a longer commute to
tents whose size often doesn't accomodate the sunburned white people
unable to see inside. All I really wish for is a bigger "NO CAMPING
zone" around ALL event tents.

"I have gas Money, a license and i am very tullerent of  bad music and
stinky poeple, I'm a punk rock house wife.  thank you." - Amelia from
Amherst, Mass.

http://community.webtv.net/Sobriqet/SOBRIQUET