Re: the business of chick flicks

> What do you call sob movies for guys, then, like
> _Field of Dreams_ or _The
> Rookie_?

"Welcome to the softer side of Sears."

Or what about guy relationship movies?  Like High Fidelity, About a Boy, Some Kind of Wonderful, Say Anything?  Or are those chick flicks with male leads?

There's always exceptions to this goofy rule. It's a
humourous generalization, really. Besides, I still cry
at the end of "Ol Yeller."

Never did.  In fact Ol Yeller never really made sense to me.  But then again, I am a cat person, most them aren't stupid enough to be trainable enough to be a lead in a movie.

On Ya-Ya, I loved the books but hated the movie.  While it maybe wasn't THE WORST movie ever made, it certainly failed considering the mass of talented actors and source material at the filmmaker's disposal.  They cut the heart of suffering out of the characters in the book and turned it into melodrama.  They no longer were real people with motivations but characatures of the South and continually shown to be idiots in comparison to their calm and rational menfolk.  I am confused how a woman  could go to this film and feel a good deal of pride in their gender as described in the film.  It would be the equivalent of men going to see Goodfellas and saying, "Gosh, that Henry Hill is a really nice guy.  If only his wife had hid the drugs faster, then everything would have been fine."  I'm not saying that people don't do this.  It merely confuses me that they can.

Steve of the Hill People