Re: the business of chick flicks

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, J. Marie Hall wrote:

> > Um, it's a chick flick.  Why would *my* opinion count for anything?
> > :)
>
> see, i was hoping (after seeing it) that it wouldn't be pegged that way.

Well, I had to come up with *some* excuse not to say much about it.  It's
one of those films that I had a pass to but didn't have to review, so I
didn't have the motivation I sometimes have to think more deeply about a
film, and nothing in the film itself motivated me all that much.  There
*was* one scene that stuck with me -- the one where Ashley's daughter
sings to her in the car -- but I think I've already mentioned that here.

> it's soooo funny.  it has major interpersonal/emotional depth/healing
> stuff at the core; but the humor alone renders it a recommendation for
> any of my friends, male of female.  especially those of us who have
> connections to the southern u.s.

I guess I just find Foghorn Leghorn funnier.  :)  I remember thinking the
movie was an okay watch (the same way a book might be an "okay read"), but
I also found its basic premise pretty predictable.  It's one of those
movies that screams healing and forgiveness from the very first frame, and
it all felt kinda glib and superficial, in that respect.  It wasn't like,
say, _Secrets & Lies_ (easily my favorite movie of the 1990s), where the
characters' emotional scars are awfully real and you have no idea where
the story is going to go, and when things *do* begin to point in a
reconciliatory direction, you still have a fair bit of hesitance there.

> how would you guys define a "chick flick"?

Any movie that's made for a predominantly "chick" audience -- especially
if it features a gaggle of female stars bonding and stuff, and especially
if it makes women cry.  I think that would rule out revenge-oriented
empowerment movies like _Enough_, but what do I know.