the business of chick flicks

hey peter,

you said:

>Um, it's a chick flick.  Why would *my* opinion count
>for anything?  :)

see, i was hoping (after seeing it) that it wouldn't
be pegged that way.  it's soooo funny.  it has major
interpersonal/emotional depth/healing stuff at the
core; but the humor alone renders it a recommendation
for any of my friends, male of female.  especially
those of us who have connections to the southern u.s.

what was funny, regarding the chick-flick appeal, was
the heavy levels of estrogen present.  it permeated
like a thick cloud.  and then the women (including me)
stood around afterwards, outside the theater,
processing it.

maybe ya-ya is a chick-flick b/c mostly women read the
books of its basis?  and why would wells' books appeal
only to women?  anyone have stats on book clubs/groups
with regard to gender?  it's been my anecdotal
experience that they're mostly women.

how would you guys define a "chick flick"?

20 questions,
j. marie

=====
All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful. -Flannery O'Connor