Re: Radio whom?? (stuff about prayer)

Anita:
<< Erm. Isn't it also possible that "the world" DOES grasp it, conceptually,
and
 may even have been able to predict your dogma, but isn't buying?

I think what he meant (could be, maybe...) too put it in a more familiar
perspective, was something more along the lines of saying that a person who
has never been totally in love to the degree that they would sacrifice
anything, do anything for the other would never be able to fully understand
what that type of love is.  They see the outward results of the action's
taken for love but that doesn't scratch the surface of what love is.  They
just can't understand that type of relationship. Looks more like slavery.
  There is also, in that type of relationship, to run further with the
parallel, a deeper knowledge and understanding of the other than anyone
outside the relationship could ever hope to attain.  I can read a hundred
books about Lincoln, talk with historians, visit where he walked, but could I
ever begin to know him like his wife did?  In the same way, a person can
understand a bit about God through reasoning and logic but any real
understanding comes through the sort of radical receptivity that smashes
preconceived notions and selfish desires all to hell and wants only to know
the other more.

Of course, personally, I *usually* feel more like the historian than the
lover but...

 Besides, not even all Christians believe the same thing... which is why
there
 are as many denominations as exist.  Catholic, Presbyterian, Lutheran... not
 all agree on the points you're suggesting, and I have to disagree that any
of
 what you had to say is 'elementary.'  I think it's more a subject of debate
 *within* the Christian community than between Christians and "the world."

How true on a number of *Christian* thoughts.  But, correct me if I'm wrong,
the only thing posited was that Christians (of all shapes and striped) have
the understanding that there is a freedom found in Christ deeper and larger
than any sort of freedom the world can give.  I don't think you'd find many
Christians who'd disagree on that point.

Why am I answering someone else's post???
Must be bored...

a short note on prayer so as not to send out two explicitly religious posts
and to say something about the subject header so I don't have to cut and
paste:

on second thought I'll just quote (or paraphrase) Pascal on the subject:

"prayer is God's way of giving man the dignity of causality"

kevin (of course the preceding was just my opinion,  I could be wrong ;-)

Wherever two or three are gathered together there you will find 7 or 8
opinions on any
given topic.
 2nd Caucasions 3:17