Re: clones (spoilers?)

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Brad Caviness wrote:

> > Anakin fulfilled his destiny and restored "balance" to the Force by
> > killing the Emperor mere minutes before the Rebels would have blown
> > both of them up anyway.
>
> Perhaps the balance Anakin was to bring was not an end to the dark side,
> but an ability for the dark and the light to coexist. Yin and Yang.

That would seem to be the implied meaning of "balance", yeah -- but do you
really think anyone would complain if the light overpowered the dark?

> as you have already stated, it is his "attachment" to his son that led
> Vader to betray palpatine (an event Vader said Palpatine prophecied) and
> vanquish the dark side of the force.

Hmmm, it's an interesting question, whether Palpatine did prophesy the
specific events we see unfold in Episode VI.

   http://www.bus.miami.edu/~jdavis/Starwars/esb.html

   VADER: Luke. You can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is
   your destiny. Join me, and we can rule the galaxy as father and son.
   Come with me. It's the only way.

Here, Vader says Palpatine has foreseen that Luke *can* destroy him, but
that is not quite the same thing as saying that Luke *will* destroy him --
especially since it is Vader, not Luke, who does the destroying in the
end.  (Then again, maybe Palpatine isn't really destroyed at the end of
Episode VI -- but that depends on how you handle the Expanded Universe.)