Re: a few things

Peter and ryan exchanged the following:
>That isn't to say, however, that the ideas weren't profound and mostly
>> > probably prophetic.  Has anyone ever posited the idea of a robot boy
>> > desiring to become human?  Probably, but I can't think of who offhand.
>>
>>You mean, apart from scifi and fantasy writers?
>
>I'm sure there were sci fi guys who wrote of such creatures but I'm just
>not fimiliar with any because I'm not really a buff.  Do you know of any
>series with such a character?

Tetsuwan Atom, or Mighty Atom.  It was shown in America as "Astro Boy".  The
English graphic novels are currently being published by Dark Horse.  It is a
1951 comic by Japan's highly regarded (even the Emperor attended his
funeral) premier artist, Dr. Osamu Tezkua, whose "Metropolis" just wowed our
esteemed rent-a-don.

From Fred Schodt's introduction to US volume two: "He used Astro-Boy to
imagine, from the perspective of the very analog 1950s, a word of advanced
technology where man and macine co-exist, and the problems that might
emerge.  Tezuka once wrote that he had created Astro to be a 21st century
reverse-Pinnochio, a nearly perect robot who strove to become more human and
emotive and to serve as an interface between man and machine.  The closer we
get to a true age of robots, the more meaning "Astro Boy" therefore assumes.

Please, stop being so engaging...I have to study before the weight of m head
becomes too much for my shoulders to bear...

drifting off,

Matt