Doesn't Have to Be Serious

My personal diatribe against the StarWars franchise is that it's all taken
itself too seriously.  It's like this cult-ish StarTrek thing now.  It
pisses me off that people knew and were using Mace Windu's name before it
was even said in a film.

Lucas took this thing that was a pieced together with Scotch(tm) tape, a
ragtag tale of well-organized evil vs. haphazard good and made it into this
ultra serious thing that he or the loyal goofball fans can barely even joke
about.  And they think they can -- witness the "clever" short films and such
on www.atomfilms.com; all done with Lucas' blessing.  Of course, the
filmmakers weren't allowed to touch on the soft spots - the mythology - of
the series.  It smacks of Scientology or something worse, since it's flying
and no one seems to know why so they just make it more mythological each
time out.  ugh.  nauseating.

After Lucas pissed me off enough with Episode I, I vowed not to give him
another penny in my lifetime.  I won't buy cereal if there's C3PO on the
box, I won't get a happy meal even if there is a little fightin' yoda action
figure.  Heck, I'd vowed even to buy another ticket to see Spider-Man and
just sneak into Clones than give money to the dark side's coffers.  But now
I think I can safely avoid seeing it all together and still be happy.

Holy cow, just release the Star Wars Christmas Special from 78 on DVD!!
Jefferson Airplane want to see how sexy they were back then.  And those on
Chewie's home planet have been dying to see it again too.

So, if we sometimes fight,
doesn't mean we've got a problem,
it ain't always black and white,
and who cares anyway?,