Re: public service announcement

>From: hoopyfrood at juno_com
>
>"Smoke if you must, smoke if you enjoy it, smoke if addiction isn't a
>problem for you, but don't smoke to prove that you're cooler than someone
>else.  Smoking only to irritate Christians who don't or can't approve of
>smoking, while you do or can, is one of those things I think of as throwing
>rocks down the hill at people who've not yet seen the top.  You know
>something they don't?  Great.  That should make you a teacher, not a
>taunter.  I mean, you're looking as disdainfully, or more disdainfully, at
>those who disapprove as they are at you.  Reverse self-righteousness will
>get us nowhere."

I think you should come out of lurk mode more often if these are the points
you make.  I'm ashamed to admit it now, but I used to smoke in high school
to cause a stir. It was my rather dubious way of trying  to show all my
critics that I simply didn't care what they thought. I wanted to show those
'judgemental self rightous christians' in my school who claimed I wasn't as
good as I professed to see they'd under-estimated me, and I was musch more
of a rebel than they originally thought....and I wanted to show the others
that I was far cooler than straight a* teacher's pet. I wanted to show the
teachers, in my church school, full of rules and regulations, that I didn't
care for the legalist attitude. Very obviously I did. I cared a lot.
It took me years to admit this even to myself.
I guess we all have a rebel element in us, we all like to tease those who we
perceive as thinking themselves somehow 'better' than us. But ultimately,
perhaps that says more about our own self-esteem than it does about their
'attitudes?'
(Which often, is no attitude at all.)

'If I try to pray, it's like a game of red rover. I take a real good run at
it, but I can't break through. Don't matter anyway. I'm so red-handed. The
game is over. I'll just tell the truth.
I know a Love that will not let me go. '
::over the rhine::