Radio Satan

Dusty sez:
> > For most people, watching films is a form of entertainment and most
>folks
> > don't apply a rigorous set of rules to the subject matter when sitting
>back
> > and enjoying themselves.

Don comes back with:
>Then they are sheep, not people.  Before anyone yells at me for being
>elitist,
>I'm only saying that *in* that moment, when people shut off their brain for
>"entertainment", they become sheep.  I'm not implying it's necessarily a
>permanent character trait.  They can turn their brains back on again.
>Nevertheless, I do think people are more vulnerable to manipulation when
>their
>brains are off.

To which I say:

You've hit the nail on the head, Don!  I was just using this phrase, people
are sheep, today to describe the radio, commercial music, etc.  This problem
plagues the music industry too- Hollywood, Nashville, its all the same.

We were listening to commercial "Clear Channel Communications" station WDVE,
and AC/DC came on.  Everyone ribs me about how AC/DC, not Midnight Oil, are
allegedly Australia's top band.  (I loathe AC/DC.)  So I preempitvely
thanked the Lord for clear channel, whose altar I worship at, for keeping
the precious magic and music of AC/DC alive.

Honestly, WDVE, a classic rock radio station, used to play Yes songs daily.
Now, they never do.  How does a song like "Starship Trooper", "Your Move/All
Good People", "Roundabout", "Owner of A Lonely Heart", or even "Your's Is No
Disgrace" cease o be a classic rock song after 30 or so years?  Heck, the
only bands from the seventies I even like are Midnight Oil, who didn't score
a US hit until the eighties, and Yes- two of the casualities of Clear
Channel's policies and approved playlists.  Other bands, Triumph and
Marillion come to mind, have also disappeared forever...

Moreover, the artists that were given the axe are at least intelligent and
thought provoking.  Instead we now get to hear such illuminating and
stimulating lyrics as "Where have all the good times gone?" or "You shook me
all night long" or "I've got two tickets to Paradise", or, in a rare
instance of thought-provoking lyricism, an argument for atheism such as
"Free Will" by Rush.  Lovely.
And, as you've said, people are more susceptable when they shut their brains
off.  The types of messages these songs contain, being reinforced over and
over via repeated listenings, is bad.  Radio is a great, great Satan.

Wearin' my halo way up high,

Matt