Re: Dream set-list, etc.

In a message dated 5/15/02 8:54:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
jholland444 at hotmail_com writes:

<<     So, requesting all the oldies is a good thing, and I do love it
 when a band throws the old fans a bone, but I'm all for moving forward. >>

agreed...sort of.

I think a concert is all about connection.  Band to fans -- fans to band.
Guess that goes without saying.
Getting together with old friends and talking only about old times may be fun
but
you leave knowing nothing about where they've been, what they've seen, how
they've grown since.  You haven't really connected with the person, only
revived you're memories of them as they once were.
   But, at the same time, memories are great.  They are the stuff that
deepens and sweetens a relationship.  The most meaningful connections are
made when the old and new
are jumped from, one to another, like hopscotch boxes.  Each one built on the
other.
  I love to hear new stuff and see where the muse has led the band.  I
especially love it when I can make a connection between what they're
currently doing with something they've done before.  How the old has become
the building blocks for a new thing.  I also love to hear the old tunes done
in new ways, how K%L take 'em and paint 'em with new colors, or, as Karin has
said, put a new dress on 'em.
  I also love to hear older tunes done in the way they were originally
conceived from time to time.  Visit them like two old friends  getting
together and sharing the memory of something that once moved them and helped
them grow into who they are now.
  K&L have been doing this long enough to have amassed enough tunage to fill
out the sinews and bones of a body of work.  Not that ever I'd dream of
telling them what to do, (nor do I want to) but IMO, I think it's good to
bring out a few oldies from time to time to share with the fans so both can
reminisce and share a smile.  I think it sweetens and strengthen both sides
of the fan-band relationship.  As an old Russian proverb goes -- "dwell in
the past and you'll lose an eye, forget the past and you'll lose both eyes."
But gimme new tunes too.  Yea, new tunes are where it's at.
Twenty-three skidoo like flip city man.

kevin