colors & album impressions thereof...

OK, i've always had this kicking around in my head...
i wonder what others feel about this...

i'm listening to Steve Taylor's _On the Fritz_ album
today... it's a *great* album, but i rarely pick it
up to spin.  partly, because _I Predict 1990_ and
_Squint_ overshadow _OtF_ in Steve's catalog...

another reason is that it's got a damn awful color
scheme on the album artwork.  slightly burnt-orange,
slightly orange-yellow.  one word, its-frickin-icky.

while listening to it now, there are some *great*
tunes on it... other than "Lifeboat," which is fun
the first 100 times, but after that it loses its
edge with me.

anyway, i notice this with other albums... album art
*really* *really* *very really* effects how often
i'll spin a disc... it's all superficial, but it's
all very subconscious, too.

-maybe i don't like OtR's Patience due to the old guy?
-maybe burnt-orange cover art causes me to think less
  of the songs in my subconscious?
-do i think the black/blue river scene in Dream
  Theater's _Awake_ causes me to see it as a more
  cohesive album than their others?

a lot of it does come down to the actual music, but
colors and album art effects in ways that really go
around your normal way of thinking sometimes...

of fav albums in the past few years for me, they tend
to be blues, blacks, red/blacks, whites, browns, and
greens.  those also tend to be the colors that i wear
more often, too...

discuss.

i'm just bored- really,
Dan

np: steve taylor - on the fritz

=====
*here are two wonderful pages that Dan maintains*
    VISIT - My Essential Music Favorites List:
             http://www.dlm.net/gc/
    VISIT - Pixie Princess Jewelry Studios at:
         http://www.pixieprincess.com/