Re: Essential Indie Artists

Ha!

Does anyone else remember the tape sharing ring we tried to start all those
years ago?  The idea was we were supposed to make mix tapes, and then every
couple of weeks send them on to the next person on the list.  I don't think it
ever got past a single iteration.

My indie list is way too long, because that's all I listen to (except for Peter
Gabriel).  I was in a car with a bunch of teenagers last saturday, and I didn't
know a *single* song that was on the radio.  I had heard of a couple of the
artists, like Eminem (is that spelled right?), but none of the songs.  I
pointed out that the last time I had listened to a pop music station was the
year before, and I didn't know any of the songs then, either.  Almost all I
listen to is the sort of people who play at the Ark.  I've been grooving on
"Saffire" recently, the "uppity blues women".  Great fun.

But if I were to list off my "favorites", they would have to include: Jim
Infantino (aka Jim's Big Ego), Eddie From Ohio, June Rich, Martin Sexton, Ellis
Paul, The Nields, Moxy Fruevous, Greg Howard, Jason Harrod, Dar Williams, Susan
Werner, Jennifer Kimball, Laura Love, The Loomers, Catie Curtis, Kris
Delmhorst, Greg Greenway, Peter Mulvey, Ashley Peacock, Josh Seurcamp, Monk,
Great Big Sea, Chucklehead, Fiddler's Green, Jennifer Erb, and Don Conoscenti.
Just to name the few that come to mind.  I'm sure I'm leaving some out.  Now,
some of those people are on labels like Rounder Records, Green Linnet, or Razor
& Tie, but those are still relatively small labels when compared to, say, Sony.
:-)

Well, I'm off to Germany tomorrow.  Don't have *too* much fun while I'm away!  :-)
--
Don Smith                          Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                                http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"Let truth and falsehood grapple.  Who ever knew truth put to the worse, in a
free and open encounter?"				         - John Milton