Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V4 #46

At 11:51 AM 5/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 04:26:31 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Dan Temmesfeld <dtemm at yahoo_com>
>Subject: Essential Indie Artists - Sharing Tree Possibility
>
>OK, here's the drill...
>
>What are some people's favorite/ESSENTIAL independent
>artists out there now?  Artists that aren't on major
>labels, but you feel that are an important piece of
>your music collection?  Those artists that you feel
>others should know about?  Artists that are operating
>on more of a grassroots marketing plan?
>
>Maybe we could set up a "tape trade" kind of thing
>to share a few songs from a few artists, except in
>this day and age, we could use CDRs.  5 artists, 2-3
>songs each would easily make a nice compilation to
>share amongst one another to "get the word out" on
>independent and local music.  I'm sure that this
>would be a good way to get many new people in some
>artist's fanbase.  heck, I GUARANTEE IT!!  If people
>want to be involved but don't have a CD burner, they
>could contribute a couple bucks to cover blanks and
>shipping from a provider of the compilation... ?
>
>BILL MALLONEE (Vigilantes of Love): One-time working
>with REM Peter Buck, Bill Mallonee's Vigilantes of
>Love have chugged along with over 13 albums in as
>many years.  In early 2002, Bill announced the disolve
>of VoL and the continuation under his name.  Bill
>hopes to release upwards of 4 CDs within the next
>12-15 months on his own in conjuction with a midwest
>distributor.  Bill is the epitome of a hard-working
>roots-rock musician with a passion for life, music,
>truth, and his fans.
>  http://www.billmallonee.net/

I just ran a VoL tree. Be aware this is addicting. I started looking for a few shows to trade for VoL.

>Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 06:02:38 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Dan Temmesfeld <dtemm at yahoo_com>
>Subject: most-excellent progfest in Holmdel, NJ
>
>anybody located in Holmdel, NJ?  anybody near there?
>anybody know anything about such a juicy concert that
>will match up Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, and King's
>X all in the same day (Friday, Sept 13th, 2002)?

I thought progfest was already soldout.  You need to join the cdr prog list.

>Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 08:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Brad Caviness <bigwigenterprises at yahoo_com>
>Subject: Re: Essential Indie Artists - Sharing Tree Possibility
>
>I love, LOVE, Dan's idea.
>
>I'm already picking out artists for a cd, if other people
>are interested in participating, either by burning multiple
>copies of a cd and mailing it to people who send you copies
>of their compilation, or by making one and sending it to the
>next person in the circle, and sending off the one you
>received from the person preceding you after a week, etc.,
>etc.
>
>I'd be interested in what we qualify as "indie". Sigur Ros?
>Dashboard Confessional?

Both are probably to long indies.

>First, is Michelle Shocked still indie?  I heard a new song from her on WYEP
>yesterday.

Yes, her new label doesn't appear to be on any label

>Also, is Kosmos Express still in existance.  I played their second offering
>at work last week, and nobody complained.  It must be "good".
>
>Midnight Oil's new label in America, Liquid 8, is indie.
>
>The Cowboy Junkies are now a self-sufficient indie.
>
>Otherwise, 16 Horsepower, Mike Knott, SpyGlass Blue, Saviour Machine, Low,
>the Voilet Buring, and, though I've yet to hear it, Charity Empressa, are
>all essential indie artists.  (The latter on  the basis of the resume.)  Oh,
>and a little band called Daniel Amos.  And the Choir.  (Who owns Galaxy 21
>anway?)

I have some Cowboy Junkies, 16hp & da

>i don't know about the round-robin approach... i'm
>thinking more of a 1:1 thing?  round-robin might
>work, though... hmm...

I'd prefer a tree per artist.  I'm not crazy about compl