Re: Guitar Playin Fool...

--- Dusty Volume <dustyvolume at yahoo_com> wrote:
> If anyone's tired of the guitar thread, just say the
> word and this can go off-list  :)

Me? Tired of a guitar thread?! :{P}

> I really could've stood to have that pawn shop
> situation pan out a little better.  (snip)

Wow. That's a horrible story about the old lady and
the pawn shop. Unfortunately I don't have trouble
believing it. I'm lucky in that I know a small handful
of pawn shops in Fort Wayne where I would trust most
of the people behind the counter to a degree. The fact
still stands, though; making money is money...

I'm sorry that the Yamaha you liked didn't pan out.
Yes (not to rub salt in a wound), that price WITH a
hard case included IS a really good deal, but I've
passed stuff up like that on sheer principle, too.
Integrity and honesty DO count for something.

Keep this in mind when you trade in stuff for other
stuff: you'll almost never get what you wanted out of
the trade. If a shop is buying something from you,
they have to turn around and be able to make a profit
off of it. What you'd like to sell it for is often
what the shop wants to sell it for. Expect to get half
of what you want to sell it for....

Anyway... as far as pawn shops go, you have to be a
little willing to get your hands dirty if you want to
buy anything there.

> Anyway, I've seen some really good deals online

I steer away from buying instruments through the mail
or online. Apart from the concern about shipping, you
just never know if the guitar will be a good fit until
you play it, and even if you can return it, it's an
extra hassle and more spent money. I always want to
see, hear, and play a guitar before purchasing...
Shoot, even two of the same make and model can be
completely different from one another.

> I'm going to keep my eyes open at the music stores.

That's a wonderful idea. And yes, there are plenty of
good deals in the used section if you are patient and
willing to look. Again there is nothing wrong with
used equipment. Isn't that waht "vintage" is after
all? :{)}

> Has anyone ever heard of the Olympian?  It's
> made by Tacoma, I think.

I'm familiar with Tacoma guitars in general. I think
they sound and play good for the money. Same with
Seagul, which was mentioned by someone a few posts
back.... The longer you end up waiting, the more money
you can save. I saved up better part of a year to get
my Martin.

Every store will have their own opinion about the
"hands down best" guitar in whatever price range. Just
keep trying and playing and make that decision for
yourself! :{)} If you're still partial to Yamaha,
there are many used Yamahas at good prices waiting for
you!

> I strummed a G "something or other"
> tonight
> and it was very nice. And keep those dirty
> thoughts to yourselves!  ;)

What dirty thoughts? Just don't break the G string.

:{P}

Good luck!

bink