Europe

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:45:06 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Don Smith
> <dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: europe
>
> I remember Europe [shudder].  Only because "The
> Final Countdown" was a huge hit
> in Germany in the spring of 1987, when I was
> living there as an exchange student,
> and I *hated* it.  Then the fad passed and I
> breathed a sigh of relief, but
> then I returned home that summer only to find
> that the song had become a big
> hit over here, too, with a few months' delay.
> So I had to endure it *twice*.
> The horror, the horror...

Hey, I was in Holland for the same reason during
the same time and remember hearing the songs from
Bon Jovi, Europe and many others during that
year. And for the entire year after I got back, I
heard the same "new" music. I drive my wife nuts
when we listen to the radio, and a song from that
era comes on: "Guess what?" I ask. "Popular when
I was in Holland."

Did anyone ever know that Olympic gold medalist
Carl Lewis cut a single and promoted it? I saw
him on Dutch TV that year. I suppose you could
say it was a long jump from track and field to a
singing career.

Jeff McCloud
teamccloud at yahoo_com