Re: 40 questions and 40 answers

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Kelvin Bailey wrote:
> So I'm looking at the new Books In Culture issue (great magazine)...the
> first thing I notice is that the article by Brian McLaren defending his
> book is entitled 'Faithfully Dangerous'.  Hm....

Books & Culture has sung the praises of Over the Rhine, before, FWIW --
and of this particular song, for that matter.

   http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/130/11.0.html

   Books & Culture Corner: The Evangelical Culture of Euphemism, Part 2

   [ snip ]

   Two times earlier this year -- first at Calvin College's Festival of
   Faith & Writing, and then more recently at Wheaton College -- I have
   heard a band called Over the Rhine in concert. The prime movers of Over
   the Rhine are Karin Bergquist, who does most of the singing and plays
   guitar, and her husband, Linford Detweiler, master of keyboards.

   Many of their songs have a passionate intimacy, an explosive mix of sex
   and love and longing, wit and lyrical abandon (you can hear this, for
   example, in "Faithfully Dangerous" on the recent CD, Good Dog Bad Dog).
   When they perform, they are taking the private and making it public in
   the space created by art. Risks are entailed by such performance -- not
   least to the performers themselves. But we need more such risk-takers
   in the evangelical world -- and more gatekeepers willing to give them
   the stage.

   John Wilson is Editor of Books & Culture and Editor-at-Large for
   Christianity Today.

> Then I begin reading the critical review of 40 Days and 40 Nights that
> my co-workers so desparately want me to read and comment on. (Me being
> the resident wierdo and all.)  After reading the first paragraph, my
> eyes look up to the byline and I see that it was written by Peter
> Chattaway!  Is this our Peter Chattaway?  Is this you, Peter?  If it is,
> would you mind emailig me off line.  I'd love to ask you a couple of
> questions about the review.

Since you asked me in public, I might as well plead guilty in public.  :)
But if you want to ask me any questions offline, feel free.