Re: How Much is too Little?

<< > How much music on a CD is too little?  The reason I ask is that 2 recent
 > CD's that I bought have just around 30 minutes of music on them. >>

I admit anything under 40 seems too little in most cases but I think what
happens sometimes is that a the project feels full and complete at less --
when it's done it's done.  Take the case of Fan Dance.  I'm sure Sam had many
other things that she could have added but, as a piece, Fan Dance was
complete so she couldn't have added more without changing the sound and
integrity of the thing as a whole.  Although personally, I'd think she could
have had a couple minutes of silence then filled it out with a couple
unrelated tunes, especially since the fans had been waiting a long time for
something new from her.
  Look at what Daniel Amos just did with Mr. Buechner's Dream.  The main disc
was done but they had enough tunes to fill out another disc and they went
ahead and did two full discs at not much more than the price of one.
  Part of our feelings of being ripped is that we're spoiled with the longer
format of CD's I think.  When there was only vinyl most all albums clocked in
at around 30.  If an album stretched to 40 we thought we were getting a lot!
When the next medium allows for 6 hours or so on one disc are we going to
think that a 3 hour album is too short?

kevin