Re: Re: DVDs

--- Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:
> >Thoughts?
>
> Many and myriad, but again, not about the movie.
> Though a lot of my
> friends saw it and talked about it for weeks. So I
> have to ask: what's it
> about? What's the deal?

Well, if your farm animal (Hi jg!)with David Lynch,
the movie is no great departure from his other stuff,
but it's basically about (and I'm treading softly so
as not to spoil anything for those yet to see it)a
girl who likes another girl and all the complexities,
and ideosyncrasies that you might suspect Lynch to
create within those two characters.  It actually has a
couple of plot lines going at the same time--and it's
not a linear plot either, so it actually  might take
two + viewings to make some sort of sense out of the
whole movie.

Other than that, I was very displeased with the way
the DVD was put together. I know Lynch is not one to
share much, so a feature length director commentary
isn't what I was expecting, but, you know, I've sort
of gotten used to the little things that that go so
well with the format--oh say like *chapter
selections*!

> So, Mark, are you trolling again? Or are you
> genuinely interested? Cos,
> y'know, if it's the latter, and you asked some of
> the lesbians on the
> list very nicely, I'm sure they'd help you figure
> out your "reactions."

Well, (pulls collar away from neck) I was sort of
trying get a decent thread going, and at the same time
create a post that addresed multiple
interests/multiple listees at the same time.  I did
find the sex scenes in the movie a bit odd (not the
sex itself), but the way they were presented.  I mean
the film was given an R rating, but for some reason
when we were given a full frontal nude shot of one of
the characters, they blurred the (forlack of a better
term) bikini area like we were watching MTV at 4:00 PM
on a Saturday afternoon.  I was puzzled.  But anyway,
I was really just wondering what others thought of the
amount of the scenes.  Having seen 90% of what Lynch
has done (film wise), I thought it was actually a
little sanitized for him, and wanted someone else's
opinion.

> Any relation to Dolores Del Rio?

No, I don't think so, but having just been introduced
to her music, I can't say I'm the definitive source to
be asking.  I do know that I ran (not walked) to the
record store and snatched up a copy of the soundtrack
for her performance alone.  She does a Spanish, a
capella version of Roy Orbison's Crying that actually
made me dizzy as I sat there on the sofa. I couldn't
really understand much of it, but just her voice and
expressions alone sent chills up and down my spine.
It was definitely a rewind and replay moment.  Yes,
I'm a rewinder.  Everyone I know hates me for it, but
I'm hopelessly addicted.

Anyway, that's my initial reactions.