tape collection from Mars:was Faithfully Dangerous

In a message dated 4/12/02 12:13:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu writes:

<<
 >>Do you mean you hang them, covers outward, like wallpaper?  Or are they
 spine-outward on shelves?

I run them spine-outward on shelving.  I found  4'" redwood decking to be the
perfect size for VHS tapes and paperbacks so I lined one wall top to bottom
with it.  Currently I just have red bricks separating the shelves due to
laziness but I plan one day to make something better.

 >>started collecting the damn things before rental stores carried them, and
now
 I'm stuck thinking of them as "things you own", like CDs, rather than "things
 you rent", like VHS tapes.

Being a 'bordering on obsessive collector' I haven't thought of VHS tapes as
"things you rent" for a long time, except maybe to see something once to know
whether I want to buy it or not.  It didn't help when I found out that some
of the local pawn shops sell off VHS tapes at 2 for 5 bucks(sometimes as low
as 5/10) and one local used CD store has a huge collection at 4.99 each.  So
I still find myself buying VHS tapes even though I've moved to DVD. Although
half the time I kick myself later because after having blown my spending
money on tapes I then find a DVD or two I want.

 >> I keep trying to break the habit and sell off discs
 that I haven't watched in several years, but then I just order more...

Have around 50 or so VHS's set to the side for ebay but half of them are ones
I've transferred to DVD so I still have a copy.  You never know when you
might get the urge to watch "Zombies of the Stratosphere" again even though
you barely got through it the first time 10 years ago, you know?.

 >>I don't quite have them categorized by genre, exactly.  Criterion discs,
 movies, music, and TV shows are separated.  The movies are in alphabetical
 order, and the criterion discs are in spine number order.

I have around a dozen Criterion now and order them by number also. As for the
VHS's, they're about as genre specific as I can get them: newer
Sci-fi/horror, Sci-fi comedy, classic sci-fi/horror, B sci-fi (big collection
here, I like cheezy sci-fi) fantasy, drama, award winners/contenders (or ones
I thought should have been), action, western, foreign, older/classic - also
by genre but some cossover to other sections, old serials, TV alphabetical
and chronological by show, Documentaries, animation - (2 sections - TV and
theatrical), music/musicals. Then I also have a bunch of little categories --
directors, (3 of the same you mentioned) - Gilliam, Wells,Hitchcock - also
Val Lewton, Capra, Allen, Branagh, Reiner,  and a few others. A few choice
actor/actress sections, British, Hammer, Japanese sci-fi/horror, Universal
Horror (almost a complete collection - love the old Universal flics)
Probably a few more categories if I think about it but I'm sure that's plenty
to get the idea.

>> I keep thinking about
 reshuffling, like putting all the directors in separate groups (Orson Welles,
 Terry Gilliam, Alfred Hitchcock, Kevin Smith...), but alphabetical seems to
be
 the most convenient for finding things.

If you alphabetize each section you create you'll find it easier yet to get
to a specific title. Favorite director organizing makes it really simple. I'd
recommend at least that.   If I want to watch Lewton's Curse of the Cat
People I only need look at a 9 movie section and walla! Although one can get
carried away. I sometimes have to remember what sci-fi section I've placed a
particular sci-fi in...

 >>Sigh.  Confessions of a movie buff (I just ordered Delicatessen from the
UK,
 since it seems it will never come out here. I am *so* excited!

I have it (on VHS) but haven't watched it yet. Picked it up because I heard
it was by the same director who did *city of lost children*.  Have some time
this weekend so maybe I'll finally get around to it.  Ah yes, another section
I have -- must see movies that I've picked up but haven't seen yet!
  On a like note I did find Peter's recommendation *secrets and lies* and
watched that.  Didn't roll me like it did Peter but I definitely enjoyed it -
a lot. Thanks!

 >>If any of you
 are into multi-region DVDs, I heartily recom mend checking out
 http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/

So how readily available are multi-region DVD's? I've been thinking about
getting one if only so I don't have to wait to get all the Buffy/Angel discs.

kevin - some call it obsession, I call it commitment - hopp