Re: Faithfully Dangerous

Gilhamilton wrote:
> one wall is totally lined with 500 or so VHS movies -- categorized by genre
> of course) Going to have to move the DVD's up there pretty soon....

Do you mean you hang them, covers outward, like wallpaper?  Or are they
spine-outward on shelves?  People think I'm a little crazed with my DVD
collection.  I think I'm pushing 400 of them; I haven't counted recently.  I
started collecting the damn things before rental stores carried them, and now
I'm stuck thinking of them as "things you own", like CDs, rather than "things
you rent", like VHS tapes.  I keep trying to break the habit and sell off discs
that I haven't watched in several years, but then I just order more...

I don't quite have them categorized by genre, exactly.  Criterion discs,
movies, music, and TV shows are separated.  The movies are in alphabetical
order, and the criterion discs are in spine number order.  The others aren't in
any particular order, although the discs for individual TV shows (Prisoner,
Monty Python's Flying Circus, Doctor Who, Muppet Show, X-Files, etc.) are in
broadcast order, or as close to broadcast order as the collections will let me
(Prisoner and Muppet Show discs are out of order, although with the Prisoner
discs, they actually try to justify their order choice according to the overall
narrative of the show, which is rather unusual).  I keep thinking about
reshuffling, like putting all the directors in separate groups (Orson Welles,
Terry Gilliam, Alfred Hitchcock, Kevin Smith...), but alphabetical seems to be
the most convenient for finding things.  My dad tried once putting his movies
in chronological order, not by production year, but by the year/era in which
the narrative is set.  And then he watched them all through in that order over
a few months.  It makes for an interesting perspective on history.  :-) He
doesn't have as many, though, so it's not as drastic a project to reorder them.
But you can see that certain traits run in families...  :-)

Sigh.  Confessions of a movie buff (I just ordered Delicatessen from the UK,
since it seems it will never come out here.  I am *so* excited!  If any of you
are into multi-region DVDs, I heartily recommend checking out
http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/ They discount below MRSP and they have free
shipping to anywhere in the world.  Of course, you need to be able to play
R2/PAL DVDs, so if you don't know what that means, don't waste your time.
:-)).  Maybe I need to go into detox or something...

Happy Friday,
--
Don Smith                          Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                                http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" - Miguel de Unamuno