Re: Faithfully Dangerous

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Don Smith wrote:
> I don't quite have them categorized by genre, exactly.

'Twould be difficult to do, I think, since so many films cross genres.  I
recently sent a friend a list of my DVDs, grouped into various categories,
and I had to choose whether to put _Spartacus_ with the ancient epics or
with the Stanley Kubrick films (or, for that matter, with the other
Criterion Collection discs), and I had to choose whether to put _The
Prince of Egypt_ with the ancient epics or the non-Disney cartoons, and I
wasn't entirely sure whether the _Toy Story_ boxed set belonged with the
Disney cartoons because they were *really* made by Pixar, etc.

Plus, to group films according to *genre*, you would have to break up the
boxed sets that some films come in.  I have all three Woody Allen boxed
sets, and those films cover romantic comedy (_Annie Hall_), serious drama
(_Another Woman_), nostalgia (_Radio Days_), faux-documentary (_Zelig_),
fantasy (_The Purple Rose of Cairo_), science fiction (_Sleeper_), spoofs
of European film and literature (_Love and Death_, _Shadows and Fog_),
existentialist moral parables (_Crimes and Misdemeanors_), etc.

> My dad tried once putting his movies in chronological order, not by
> production year, but by the year/era in which the narrative is set.  And
> then he watched them all through in that order over a few months.  It
> makes for an interesting perspective on history.  :-)

Oh, weird.  How did he handle time-travel movies, then?  Parts of _Back to
the Future Part II_ are set in 2015, and other parts are set in 1955 --
would he have watched this before or after _2001: A Space Odyssey_?

Which reminds me, when the BttF boxed set comes out, I want to re-edit all
the footage in chronological order and see what sense it makes.  :)