Re: JIN-ROH and LoTR

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, ryan richards wrote:
> Haven't seen Koyaanisqatsi but I'll try and get a hold of it and I bet I
> can find a story in it somewhere, even if it's only part of my own.

Heh.

   http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:rP3-C2l9hhIC:sites.netscape.net/emulsional/reggio.htm+&hl=en

   [ snip ]

   DARE
   It was rather startling to see a credit for writing come up after the
   movie. How much of it is actually pre-planned?

   REGGIO
   It's an act of constant discovery, but there must be a method. In
   retrospect, I think it would have been better to have said
   "dramaturgical treatment" by rather than "written by."

   DARE
   So there is a drama?

   REGGIO
   Absolutely. If you just shoot from the hip, then you'll get a haphazard
   result without a point of view, or an essence inside that allows a life
   to emerge. It also doesn't have the motivation to carry forth as a
   project. While there's not the specificity of a screenplay, which means
   characterization, dialogue, or plot, there has to be a point of view,
   there has to be a concept, there has to be some dramatic element of how
   you want the film to move, there's even the elements of the traditional
   beginning, middle, and end.

   [ snip ]

> Fast, Cheap and Out of Control is the story of countless modern day
> twenty somethings, as many of us seem to have no peace, no money and no
> way to control our impulses.  I'll watch the actual movie and get back
> to you.

Actually, the title originally referred to robot space explorers.  :)